We are using cookies in order to facilitate your navigation. By continuing to navigate on this website or clicking on the close button you accept our policy regarding the usage of cookies.Yes, I accept Learn more
2020 Global Consumer Snacking Trends Study
Mondelēz International's annual State of Snacking™ report is a global snack trends study examining the role of snacking in the lives of consumers around the world. The 2020 report reveals proprietary insights and data around changing consumer behaviors including eating habits, shopping trends and the rising importance of mindful consumption of snacks throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
The State of Snacking report, developed in partnership with consumer polling specialist The Harris Poll, confirms and complements Mondelēz International’s proprietary, global snacking insights with bespoke research conducted among thousands of consumers across twelve countries with the intent to better understand the role that snacking plays in peoples’ lives. The report informs the company’s strategy to bite into the $1.2 trillion total snack industry as it continues to lead the future of snacking by delivering the the right snack, for the right moment, made the right way.
9 in 10
of global adults (88%) are snacking more or the same during pandemic than before
is the top driver of snacking this year
of global adults say snacking has been a “lifeline” during pandemic
7 in 10
of global adults plan to continue shopping for snacks online once pandemic ends (69%)
of global adults have relied on snacks for nourishment during pandemic
The 2020 State of Snacking Report underlines the growth in snacking worldwide and how behavior, sentiment and routines surrounding food are being reshaped by COVID-19.
- Snacking around the world, which was already a rapidly increasing behavior, has only accelerated as consumers spend more time at home. At the same time, the majority of respondents see snacking as a growing part of their everyday lives in the future.
- Consumers see snacking as an important source of comfort, connection and community, especially during the past year.
- Snacking also offers bite-sized moments of satisfaction and peace, with a majority of respondents noting it has helped distract them from a trying year.
- As snacking increases, so too does the focus on healthy products and ingredients.
- Virtual snack shopping has reached a tipping point, with almost of half of respondents buying online.