We are using cookies in order to facilitate your navigation. By continuing to navigate on this website or clicking on the close button you accept our policy regarding the usage of cookies.Yes, I accept Learn more
Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL) is at the forefront of scientific analysis, research, consultancy and training. We provide services to the food, pharmaceutical and consumer goods industries and the parent company, Mondelez International. RSSL’s goal is to be a world class supplier of scientific services by offering scientific excellence coupled with industry leading customer service.
In 2021 we were awarded Employer of the Year at the Thames Valley Awards, and previously recognised as an Enlightened Employer, Women in Business and Thames Valley Tech finalists.
As a Graduate Scientist at RSSL, you will be based within one of our cutting-edge laboratories, providing services to our external customers and in some cases, Mondelez. You will have the chance to apply your academic learning in a friendly and intellectually challenging environment. Training and coaching, through industry experts and mentors, will be provided to support your ongoing technical and personal development.
Life at RSSL
The Graduate Scientist position will work within one of our state-of-the-art laboratories. We have three sites - two based on the University of Reading Campus, the Reading Science Centre and JJT, and the third based a short drive away in Wokingham.
The role will require occasional client contact, administrative support for laboratory management, and supervision and training of junior members of the team.
A successful Graduate Scientist will be responsible for performing a range of routine and investigative analyses in accordance with quality standards, ensuring that projects are completed effectively and meet the customer’s needs. The type of analyses performed are specific to each of RSSL’s laboratories, who specialise in a wide range of analytical techniques, these include;
- Chromatographic techniques such as HPLC, HPLC-MS, GC-MS, GC-FID
- Spectroscopic techniques such as AAS, MP-AES, ICP-MS/ICP-OES, FT-IR and UV-spec
- Microscopic techniques such as SEM, EDS and XRF
- Other assay techniques such as ELISA, PCR and whole genome sequencing
As part of your application, we ask that you review the details of each what each laboratory does here and detail which area(s) you’re interested in and why as part of a cover letter, which can be uploaded during the application process.
For our Graduate Scientists, the degree required will depended on the specialism of the area. Generally, we will consider the following degrees - Biochemistry, Biological Science, Chemistry (and related degrees such as Analytical, Medicinal, Forensic and Pharmaceutical), Chemical Engineering, Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Natural Sciences, Physics and Materials Science.
- Working in an organised manner within tight deadlines and under minimal supervision
- Providing high quality customer service at all times
- Ensuring effective management of assigned workloads, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results
- Developing expertise in analytical techniques and scientific understanding and performing basic maintenance and troubleshooting of lab equipment
- Report writing
- Providing training in routine activities and methods
- Proficiency in use of generic and specific software packages required for the role, such as Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and Q-Pulse.
- Performing method validation following protocols, and transcription checking for factual data
- Take responsibility as required for elements of specific projects and/or specific areas of general laboratory/sample administration
Please be aware that this role may require handling of materials that may contain chemicals, solvents and allergens, and the appropriate protective wear will be supplied.
We are looking for scientists to join our growing team throughout the year, therefore there will be multiple intake points. Depending on when we receive your application, this will dictate which intake you’ll join us in. If there is a specific date/month you’d be able to join please note this in your application.
- Studying towards a science related degree (details above)
- Predicted classification 2:1 (or equivalent)
- Self-driven and motivated
- Naturally inquisitive and passionate about technical excellence
- Can work with a level of autonomy, as well as within a team
- Demonstrate strong analytical, communication and presentation abilities
- Pro-active and ready to take on new responsibilities
- Able to build strong relationships
- Good working knowledge of MS Office
- Able to travel (if required)
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful international business that offers a competitive salary, 35 days annual leave (including bank holidays), contributory pension, life assurance, and a flexible benefits programme.
Please note - we recruit graduates all along the year; if you're not selected, you will receive an email to let you know. If you have not received an email, this means you may be contacted at any time during this year (2023) to be invited for an assessment day.
RSSL and Mondelēz are a diverse and inclusive employer with an objective to ensure a fair and equal hiring process. If you require any reasonable adjustments to apply or throughout our assessment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org stating “RSSL Early Careers” as the subject.
Our candidate requirements are based on criteria to enable you to succeed in the role. If you have narrowly missed the above requirements and there are extenuating circumstances that you would like us to consider, you can let us know by contacting email@example.com stating “RSSL Early Careers” as the subject and attaching a letter to confirm your extenuating circumstances.
Business Unit Summary
Reading Scientific Services, Ltd. (RSSL) is a cutting-edge contract research organization (CRO), providing research, analysis and consultancy to the food and pharmaceutical sectors. Whether we are creating new products, validating medicines or solving investigations, we take pride in being a leader in our field, serving clients from across 60 countries.
We were recognized in 2019 as an Enlightened Employer, Women in Business and Thames Valley Tech finalists and in 2018, one of our family members earned the Food & Drink Federation’s Scientist of the Year. Enriched by our parent company, Mondelēz International, our diverse team of 300 includes 23 nationalities, creating a family feel as we strive toward our mission of “Science Enhancing Lives.”
Mondelēz International is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job TypeGraduate ProgramGraduatesEarly Careers
Graduate Scientist - Immediate Start Date