Our business depends on a steady, high-quality supply of agricultural crops like cocoa, coffee, wheat and many other commodities to create our delicious snacks.
As our business grows, so do the challenges facing the farmers who grow our agricultural supplies. We also know that the majority of our environmental impact is in agriculture.
So we're making significant long-term investments to help secure our supply of key agricultural commodities – because it's important for our business, helps the environment and it can make agriculture a more attractive profession for future generations of farming families.
We've developed signature programs in key commodities where we can make a unique difference.
• Cocoa Life is a holistic, verified program working to transform the lives and livelihoods of cocoa farmers, create thriving communities and inspire the next generation. Cocoa Life's $400 million, 10-year commitment aims to empower more than 200,000 farmers and more than 1 million people in cocoa farming communities in Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Indonesia, Brazil, the Dominican Republic and India.
We also join with partners in a range of initiatives to support sustainable cocoa production.
• Coffee Made Happy is a $200 million plan to create 1 million coffee entrepreneurs coffee farming entrepreneurs by 2020. We aim to boost crop yields, skills and infrastructure in coffee-growing countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, Brazil. This builds on commitment to sustainably source 100% of the coffee for our West European markets (70% of global coffee). And we're excited to be more than two-thirds of the way towards this goal in 2013.
• In Europe, our wheat program, Harmony, promotes biodiversity and good environmental practices in wheat production. Farmers in the Harmony program commit to following a charter of best agricultural practices. Today, nearly half of our West European biscuits are made with Harmony wheat, and by 2015, we are committed to increase that to 75%.
Supply chain stewardship
But all our farmers should benefit from more sustainable practices. So, we're building a foundation by embedding sustainability into our sourcing practices across all our commodities.
We're seeking more transparency, raising expectations of our suppliers and collaborating initiatives such as the Sustainable Agriculture Initiative (SAI) Platform. Through this work we are addressing cross cutting themes such as good agricultural practices, deforestation, human and labor rights (including child labor), land rights, gender and environmental footprint.
Deforestation and human rights in supply chains: See how we are assessing deforestation and human rights risks in supply chains and taking steps to mitigate them.
Palm Oil: We are taking steps to ensure that the palm oil we buy is produced on legally held land, does not lead to deforestation or loss of peat land, respects human rights, including land rights, and does not use forced or child labor. Download our position statement.
Collaborating for change
Achieving widespread change across whole supply chains is more than can do alone, so we partner with peer companies and expert organizations to help us on the journey.
• Consumer Goods Forum: As members of the Consumer Goods Forum, we are a signatory to its deforestation resolution which seeks to mobilize resources within our respective business to help achieve net deforestation by 2020 with a focus on four key commodities: palm oil, soya, beef and paper and board.
• SAI Platform: We are members of the Sustainable Agriculture Initiative (SAI) Platform. SAI Platform is the global initiative helping food and drink companies to achieve sustainable production and sourcing of agricultural raw materials. SAI Platform has developed Principles and Practices for sustainable production as well as a Farmer Self-Assessment tool to help farmers improve their practices.
• World Economic Forum: We are members of the project board of the New Vision for Agriculture Initiative, created by the Consumer Industries of the World Economic Forum with the overarching goal to provide food security for all in an environmentally sustainably way, while generating economic growth and opportunity.