Sustainability is about preserving our world and its people. We all depend on just one planet. So all of us need to work together and find ways to use less energy, water and other resources, as well as reduce the waste we generate.
For many years, we’ve listened to and worked with smallholder farmers to promote sustainable supply chains. With our partners we help increase the farmers’ output, improve their livelihoods, build thriving communities and protect the environment. We’re using our resources to amplify this ongoing conversation.
Our sustainability journey has put us on a path that is making a real difference. But we know we can’t do everything. So our focus is in those areas where we can have the greatest impact: sustainable agriculture and reducing the environmental footprint of our own operations.
To reduce our environmental footprint by 2015, we set the following goals:
- Cut our energy and water use in manufacturing by 15%
- Reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and waste from manufacturing by 15%
- Make 60% of our production in Zero Waste to Landfill sites
- Eliminate 50 million pounds (22,500 tons) of packaging material
Securing the Future through Sustainable Agriculture Transforming our agricultural supply chains is an essential foundation for a sustainable future. We’ve launched innovative, industry-leading holistic programs in key commodities like cocoa, coffee and wheat. Giving a voice to farmers and empowering them to create thriving farms and communities. Take a look:
- Cocoa Life: 10 year, $400 million investment, empowering more than 200,000 farmers and improving the lives of more than 1 million people.
- Coffee Made Happy: 10 year, $200 million plan to create 1 million coffee entrepreneurs.
- Harmony: our European wheat program, Harmony, promotes biodiversity and good environmental practices in wheat production.
Beyond this, as the foundation for all our work in sustainable agriculture, we’re embedding sustainability into our sourcing practices across our commodities.