The World’s Favorite Cookie Invites Fans from Around the World To “Celebrate the Kid Inside” With Every TWIST, LICK AND DUNK
NORTHFIELD, IL (March 5, 2012) – Magic happened on March 6, 1912 when two decoratively embossed chocolate-flavored biscuits met up with a rich crème filling: OREO was born! In honor of this delicious milestone, the World’s Favorite Cookie is on a mission to reignite the spirit of childhood by celebrating the kid inside all of us.
And, it couldn’t come at a better time.
The recently released Global Spirit of Childhood Report1 revealed that the majority of parents surveyed across 20 countries believe today’s kids are growing up quicker than did previous generations and should have more time to “just be kids.” The report also showed that parents all around the world long for the carefree fun of their youth.
“In today’s hectic world, people have more responsibilities and pressures than ever before,” said John Ghingo, Senior Director for OREO Global. “Despite this, the simple act of enjoying an OREO cookie and glass of milk continues to speak to a universal, human truth: inside all of us, whether grown-up or still growing, there’s a kid that deserves to be set free every once in a while.”
This truth has helped OREO cross oceans and borders to capture the hearts of fans in more than 100 countries. Since the first OREO cookie was sold in Hoboken, N.J., this unbeatable biscuit has grown to become the world’s top-selling cookie from the United States to China, and has attracted more than 25 million Facebook fans globally.
Unplug, Log-off and Make a Moment Count
At 100 years young, OREO is asking the world to put down its cell phones, close its laptops and take a moment to celebrate the kid inside us all by inspiring and collecting one million moments of slowed down, carefree fun. At Oreo.com/birthday and on the OREO Facebook page, fans can share how they’ve let their inner child free by posting a photo, story or video to the OREO Moments Gallery. The “Million Moments Meter” will track submissions, one heartwarming moment at a time, so fans can see what others are doing all around the world. People are already sharing moments, such as a father and his daughter sharing an OREO cookie and milk over webcams.
The International Language of an OREO Moment
To kick off the mission of celebrating the kid inside, OREO will make moments happen for fans in nearly two dozen countries during more than 100 birthday parties, including:
- In the United States, OREO will surprise and delight consumers in seven cities with “flash birthday parties,” including a concert with a special guest in Los Angeles, as well as a celebration on Capitol Hill.
- In China, OREO fans will witness a grand fireworks show at the famous Shanghai Bund in honor of the 100th birthday, with the Oriental Pearl tower turned “OREO” blue in the background in commemoration of the brand. A celebration bus tour will stop in 100 cities and towns, bringing games and activities such as a jungle gym, trampoline and “Bungie Dunking.”
- Consumers in Indonesia will get to unleash the kid inside at a specially constructed park, courtesy of OREO, that will include a large playground for all to enjoy.
- In Canada, festivities start with a surprise gift in the Toronto Eaton Centre.
- In Venezuela, OREO fans will have a chance to break dozens of piñatas to commemorate the milestone in true birthday fashion.
- In the Middle East, OREO will bring consumers together in Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam and Dubai for party games and birthday cake, including a celebration at the world’s largest shopping mall in Dubai.
The celebrations will be captured through video and photos, and shared in real-time on the OREO Facebook page for fans in more than 200 countries to enjoy.
The Birthday Is Just The Beginning…
OREO may be turning 100, but the brand is as innovative as ever. With the centennial comes an international limited-edition cookie launch as buzz-worthy as the big birthday itself. New Birthday Cake OREO cookies feature colorful sprinkles in the famous crème filling held together by chocolaty OREO cookie wafers, embossed with a special birthday design. These cookies deliver a party with every bite, with a taste that lives up to the magnitude of this once-a-century celebration. Birthday Cake OREO cookies will be available in the United States, China, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Canada beginning as early as mid-February.
The celebration doesn’t stop there. New global advertising will be seen across digital, in-store, print and television in multiple countries, debuting on March 2. The print advertising features OREO in some of the most iconic moments of the last century, from soccer becoming a much-loved global pastime to the making of “Jaws,” the movie. The TV ad spots celebrate the OREO and milk moment by showing adults and kids sharing a cookie and milk in everyday situations.
In addition to sharing their moments on the OREO Moments Gallery, OREO Facebook fans around the world will have the chance throughout 2012 to be featured for the brand’s “Birthday of the Day,” which spotlights a new fan on his/her birthday every day. Fans also can choose to send personalized birthday card greetings through Facebook to family and friends, which includes a customized greeting from award-winning country music artists, Lady Antebellum.
In the fall, OREO will host a multinational event in New York City for selected OREO ambassadors from 13 different countries. Each “AmbassadOREO” will take a pledge to continue the brand’s 100th birthday mission of spreading childlike delight in their communities.
For more fun ways to bring out your inner child, including online games and OREO recipes, visit Oreo.com/birthday or Facebook.com/Oreo today.
EDITORS’ NOTE: Find additional information and downloadable images celebrating the 100th birthday for OREO at www.kraftfoodscompany.com/Brands/Oreo/index.aspx.
1The Global Spirit of Childhood Report was a survey conducted during a six-week period between November and December of 2011. More than 7,000 parents with children under the age of 18 participated in this study. Local surveys were conducted via online and in-person interviews in 20 countries and regions, including: Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Spain, the United Kingdom, the United States and Venezuela. Responses were given as completely agree, somewhat agree, neither agree or disagree, somewhat disagree, and completely disagree.
ABOUT KRAFT FOODS
Kraft Foods Inc. (NYSE: KFT) is a global snacks powerhouse with an unrivaled portfolio of brands people love. Proudly marketing delicious biscuits, confectionery, beverages, cheese, grocery products and convenient meals in approximately 170 countries, Kraft Foods had 2011 revenue of $54.4 billion. Twelve of the company’s iconic brands – Cadbury, Jacobs, Kraft, LU, Maxwell House, Milka, Nabisco, Oreo, Oscar Mayer, Philadelphia, Tang and Trident
– generate revenue of more than $1 billion annually. On Aug. 4, 2011, Kraft Foods announced plans to divide and create two independent public companies: a high-growth global snacks business and a high-margin North American grocery business. The transaction is expected to be completed before the end of 2012. A leader in innovation, marketing, health & wellness and sustainability, Kraft Foods is a member of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Standard & Poor's 500, Dow Jones Sustainability Index and Ethibel Sustainability Index. Visit www.kraftfoodscompany.com
is the world’s favorite cookie, enjoyed by families and friends in more than 100 countries around the world. As one of Kraft Foods’ 12 “billion-dollar” brands, OREO
is the best-selling biscuit of the 21st century with more than $2 billion in global annual revenues. The OREO
cookie twist, lick and dunk ritual has become the signature way to enjoy this iconic cookie for many different cultures around the world. OREO
has a Facebook community of more than 25 million OREO
lovers around the globe, representing 200+ countries and dozens of different languages. OREO
ranks among the top five brand Facebook pages in the world. OREO
will celebrate its 100th birthday on March 6, 2012.